Add the website
First you must add the website to Sitebeam so it can be tested.
- Click on the Websites tab in the top left.
- Click the New website button. (If you can’t see this button in the top left, you don’t have permission to create new websites).
- Enter the web address of the website you wish to test in the large box provided, for example: www.silktide.com and press Enter. If you’re not sure what address to enter, use the web address of the homepage of the website. If a website is more complex (e.g. it uses several domain names) you can customise more advanced settings later.
- After a brief pause, Sitebeam will confirm that it can see the website and will attempt to guess appropriate settings for you below.
- Check the name of the website. This will actually be searched for in search engines by one of the tests, so it should be the name of the organisation or website, e.g. “Amazon”, “Twitter”, “TechCrunch”, “Silktide”.
- Enter one or more products or services that the website offers in the box provided, and separate them with commas or line breaks. Entries should be short, as if entered into a search engine – for example “web design” or “car insurance”. As you type, Sitebeam will begin to research potential competitors and peers below.
- If the website is targeting specific geographic areas, enter these into the locations box provided, and separate them with commas or line breaks. For example: “London”, “New York”, “Minnesota”. If the website is aimed at the whole world, don’t enter anything here.
- Optionally you may change the search engine that you wish to test the website with. Sitebeam will choose one for you automatically, but you can change it or add more if you wish.
- Sitebeam will have chosen some website to compare against automatically. These are based on the products/services and locations you have provided. You can change these if you wish to compare against specific websites that you choose.
- Click the Continue button when you’re done.
Test the website
Now you can test the website(s) that you have added. If you completed the steps above, you will be taken to a new screen.
- Under Type of Report, select the type of report you wish to run. Each option will run a different selection of tests. If you choose Custom you can select exactly which tests you wish to run yourself.
- If you chose Custom, an additional area called Tests will appear. You can then selected desired tests from the list on the left, and click the Add button to move them to the list on the right. The list on the right shows which tests will be run.
- You can optionally change the number of pages which will be tested. The default appears in the Limit to box. Testing fewer pages is quicker, and in many cases it is preferable to test fewer pages to get a quick sample of a site.
- Optionally, check the Email me when this report is finished box.
- Click on OK to queue up your report.
- After a short while, you should start to see a screen summarizing the progress of your report(s). You can choose to watch this screen, or to go elsewhere – your reports will carry on running regardless. If you stay on the screen, you will be taken to your report when it is finished automatically.